This scene from the 1920s or '30s shows St. Joseph Street looking east from Eighth Street (now Mount Rushmore Road). Three of the city's most prominent buildings -- the Alex Johnson, the Buell Building and the Federal Building -- can be seen. The Federal Building, now private offices, was built in 1911. Stone for this building was quarried near Hot Springs. Its architect, James Knox Taylor, designed a number of federal buildings in South Dakota, including the post offices in Mitchell, Watertown and Yankton. He believed this style of architecture would foster ready recognition of federal buildings.
All demo content is for sample purposes only, intended to represent a live site. Please use the RocketLauncher to install an equivalent of the demo, all images will be replaced with sample images.