Rapid City's early fire department consisted of three hose companies organized in 1881, and a hook-and-ladder company. The department became formally organized in 1907, and in 1915 this fine new fire hall was built. The two-story building, constructed of brick and Fall River sandstone, exemplifies the Chicago School style.
Following the practice of urban fire departments in those days, this one was built with living quarters for firemen, as well as offices, on the second floor. The fire trucks were downstairs, and the firefighters slid down a smooth brass pole when the fire call came in. Now home to the Firehouse Brewing Company, the building still has its fire pole.